Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Notes: Live Chat with Roy Christopher

Q: How did Roy get involved in the internet?
A: His friend started doing web design. He got more involved in the culture and experience of it because he began writing in a magazine. The first thing Roy said to himself was "I don't want to get involved in this whole internet thing.." (I thought that was funny) After a while he just got sucked into it.

Q: Balancing the internet?
A: It wasn't much of a struggle it was just natural for the most part. It became a struggle when Roy was trying to get something done and email, facebook, and twitter become distractions.

*Roy was surprised by the late response to his book. It's becoming more popular now that social media is picking up, but it took four years to catch on.

*Roy doesn't study social media.

- "A fish knows nothing of water"
  • We live in this web culture
  • Advent Horizon - tv already there when we were born
  • Technology breaks up generations (tv, computer, smart phones)
-We have become aware of our "water"

*Medium is no longer message?
-medium and message are always connected
-medium is always important/ can't get passed mobile technology

Q: How can we train ourselves to protect and participate in the networks?
  • "Program or be programed"
  • ex. -Managing weight or your lawn.. some will, some won't.
  • Using a computer use to be programing a computer
  • learning the back end of what your using is not always necessary but the better you know how things work the better you can reach digital machurity.
Q: What do you see happening in the future? 5-10 yrs?
A: Finish his book by next summer. He has another book on the way. Finish school and find a job (consulting, speaking, writing).

*Roy doesn't even have a smart phone
-Doesn't have the money to pay for that kind of plan
-Wants to come home and be able to check his email

*Sometimes we want to look at a screen that isn't always in our pocket.

Challenges-
-born into certain technology.. have to learn it
  
-Generational Pinch
  • Oppertunity for younger kids to teach their parents.
-"Trust the youth with this stuff"
  • Don't worry about it. Everyone else grew up fine with the new technology they had.
*What is our online identity?
- Paper for English Vs. Email for friend (it is a different language)

Q: Do you think we should be embarrissed by our behavior with technology?
A: The older generations need to put a little more faith in us. Trust taht we understand it.

-Multitasking with digital media?
  • I multitask a lot! I can be txting five different people while I am having a conversation with my mom.. (my mother's not usually too happy about it)
  • This generation is big on multitasking but I see how it can be a negative thing. I have tried to do homework while on facebook and txting peope and it just doesn't work. I get distracted and lose concentration.
Q: If we are digital natives now, what will happen in ten years? Digital tourists?
A: Ray said: Digital is constantly evolving. It is up to us if we want to stay updated. We might even create the next big thing.

Q: Ted asked: How do students like how you put digital technology into the class?
A: It is a good way to develope new tools for society and it helps us stay up to date and we are able to contribute at a different level.
-Being able to post directly to the blog is convenient for me because it feels like the class is always available. We can continue discussions outside of class and we don't have to wait for the next day if we have questions about something.

Q: Do we like technology?
A: I agree with Nicole Montoya that technology can become a distraction because I go online to do my homework for the blog and somehow I end up on Facebook checking my notifications. So I think there are pros and cons to it.

Q: Are we starting to see ourselves as life long learners?
-I feel like media is always changing and it can be hard to keep up with, so I do see ourselves as life long learners in a way.

-Future?
-I see the future as being super technologically based.
-Because of the economy it's harder and more competitive to get into college.. more online classes.

-"Doing it yourself is an oppertunity not an obstacle"
  • Everything your doing.. you are creating
* We get to choose what technology we want to use. We don't have to adopt new technology and stay updated if we don't want to.

*The only difference between spectating and participating is how we conceive our roles.
-We're not on the side lines we are in the game.

* This English class is faster paced, more advanced, and has less busy work.
-It is real world learning.
-It is a more mature environment.
-We are all here because we chose to be.

5 comments:

  1. The question and answer aspect to your notes is very helpful to know what exactly was being discussed. I also like that the main points of the chat are outlined in bold print to make sure they are noticed. Good job!

    -Kelly Brickey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Nicole! Your notes are extremely thorough and easy to follow, and I love the fact that you included your own thinking as the conference progressed. As you consider what was said, what new ideas or practices will you incorporate in your own online work, and how do you think this will inspire older generations to respect/trust you more?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly use to hate computers and technology. I didn't know how to work them and my brothers would make fun of me and call me a tech tard. I got annoyed so I took a computer class freshman year and ever since then I have been motivated to learn more about computers. I like learning and feeling like I have an understanding for things. With the constant growth and change in technology I feel like just staying up to date and current with all the changes is a good way to stay informed. Once I had an understanding of computers, I was more willing to go out and expore new things..(facebook, myspace, youtube). I even got my 88 year old grandma to create a facebook! She was very hesitant of course and didn't want to be involved with all that "junk". Now she actually likes it because she can stay updated with all her grandchilderen, and family. I realized that if the youth has a good understanding of why these online sites are a positive thing, then we can share that information with the older generations. I think they would trust and respect us more if they knew why we were doing what we are doing online.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! You take wasome notes. I wasn't able to stay for the full chat with Roy and after going through your notes I feel like I have a much better understanding of the whole thing. Everything is in detail and eay to find. I like the style you used for you notes as well. Made it very clear about what was being covered throughout the discussion. I will most definatly use this style for my own future note takeing. Thanks for a great example and great job!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. -I love the way you structured your outline. It's A LOT like mine haha. The bold and bullets are really helpful in the flow of your outline.
    -Overall, what did you think about the video conference? Did you find it helpful in your learning?

    ReplyDelete