Tuesday, October 18, 2011

"Who Was Shakespeare?"

When I did my search on Shakespeare, I went to google.com and typed in "who was Shakespeare". A bunch of options come up and I scrolled down until I found one that seemed decent. After reading about him, I realize just how respected Shakespeare was as a playwriter. He was referred to as "the greatest poet and dramatist the Western world has ever seen" by About.com. The questioning of Shakespeare strikes up a lot of controversy which might be a reason for his popularity. I also found that no one really knows very much about his life. We know that William Shakespeare was an incredible writer but how did he become that? What life experiences made him the way he was? Who shaped his writing? For the longest time when I would hear about Shakespeare in school I would instantly get bored. It just seemed like a bunch of old writing that I couldn't understand. I knew how famous he was for his writing but I just never took the time to figure out why. I still struggle now with the style of writing because it is challenging to understand, but I have a whole new appreciation for his works. Throughout high school I have had to read some of Shakespears stories and I really like them when I'm done. The idea that Shakespeare cared so much about every syllable he was writing really makes you think. I look at Shakespeare differently now because I'm not blinded by the weird writing and language anymore. I see that all his stories have deeper meanings and it can actually be really fun to figure out what they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment