Tuesday, October 18, 2011

"To Facebook or Not to Facebook?"

When I first joined facebook freshman year, I was a little hesitant to say the least. I was never good with technology so learning something besides Myspace seemed difficult. However, it was surprisingly easy for me to understand. I liked how simple things were and changing the settings seemed obvious. I understand that with any social networking site there comes a risk. I do think it is important to be of a certain age before you get a facebook. It reminds me of the journal we did today talking about "common sense". It does seem like younger kids might not have the same common sense to know what to post and what not to post. My little brother is 13 and just got a facebook, and sometimes he posts things that are just stupid. I definatley think it's risky to have facebook at a young age. I have also noticed that people take great pride in the number of friends they have. It almost seems like a popularity contest. I could see young people adding "friends of friends" just to increase the number.  It is also true that there are people out there who do not have your best interests at heart. You have to be very careful and I think the younger you are the easier it would be to fall into a trap. Also, there is so much cyber bullying going on.. which is why I wasn't allowed to have a myspace for so long. The problem with not allowing it though is that I also knew a lot of kids who would make Myspace accounts and not tell their parents. So it almost seems safer if they are going to have an account for the parents to just regulate it. Reading the article just made me realize how many young kids are on facebook. Technology has gotten so prevelant today. I couldn't believe that social media was illegal in Missouri. That seems like such a big part of our culture today, it would be weird not to have it. In the class discussion I felt like it was a little onesided because everyone basically agreed. I would have wanted to hear a little more about why having a facebook is a positive thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment