Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Poem Interpretations

1. Dramatic situation- It doesn't clearly say weather the speaker is young or old, but by the way the poem was flowing and messages portrayed I think they are young. They are sitting on steps looking across at the lake and thinking about life. Thinking about the good times but also thinking about how fast everything could be gone.
2. Structure- This poem makes me think of stream of consciousness. It's very reflective but then grows into the person realizing what they need to do based on the conclusion they just reached.
3. Theme- I definitely think the theme is no regrets. Basically to live like there's no tomorrow. Don't take life for granted because you never know what could happen. I think the idea of love and not forgetting to show people you love them before it's too late is also a big part of this poem.-" Today may be the last day I'm able to hold you tight." The idea of loss makes you realize what you still have. -you never know what you have until it's gone...
4. Grammar and meaning-  The author uses a lot of commas and questions to get the point across.
5. Important images and figures of speech- Rhyming, sitting on the steps, the lake.
6. Important single words- life, change, loved, living, tomorrow, regret.
7. Tone- The author seems very concerned. She cares and wants to best for the readers.
8. Literary or rhetorical devices- The author does a really good job of painting a picture in the readers mind from the very first line. She does a lot of comparing and contrasting: Life changing compared to a blink, comparing the young to the old.
9. Prosidy(flow)- There is a lot of rhyme throughout this piece. There's infasis put on the idea that the reader should come away with a different outlook on how they should live their lives. It's basically the one idea of life going by too fast and not having any regrets that flows through the entire poem. By the end the author reaches a sense of acceptance-" I accept my life, for what it's been worth."
 
 
© Amy D. Liskey
Sitting on the steps, looking across the lake,
Wondering why, life at times, can seem great.
But in that second, it took me to just think,
My life could change, faster than a blink.

Is this a reason why we should always cherish?
Not knowing when loved ones may suddenly perish.
Living everyday, like it was our very last,
for our days could be very long or go by very fast

So I'll cherish and take nothing for granted,
not say things that shouldn't be chanted.
If this is the last day I have on this earth,
I accept my life, for what it's been worth.

Tomorrow isn't promised to young or old alike,
Today may be the last day I'm able to hold you tight.
Don't wait for tomorrow, do it all today,
If tomorrow never comes, you'll never regret a day


Source: Like It Is My Very Last, Dream Poem http://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poem/like-it-is-my-very-last#ixzz1kGTfMG8g
Family Friend Poems

No comments:

Post a Comment